Make a Gift in 3 Easy Steps
Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or estates. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Commercial annuities
It only takes three simple steps to make this type of gift. Here's how to name the WVU Foundation as a beneficiary:
- Contact your retirement plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution for a change-of-beneficiary form.
- Decide what percentage you would like us to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution.
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?Download My FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit
Gifts That Pay
Your payments depend on your age at the time of the donation. If you are younger than 50, we recommend that you learn more about your options with this FREE guide Deferred Gift Annuities: Plan Now, Benefit Later.Download Now
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and WVU through the WVU Foundation. The couple recently updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left the WVU Foundation a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetime. Because the WVU Foundation is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
Download our FREE guide Beneficiary Designations: Easy Ways to Leave Your Legacy.View My Guide
- Contact Matthew Clark at 304-284-4033 or email@example.com for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support the WVU Foundation with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- Name the WVU Foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: West Virginia University Foundation, Inc.
Address: One Waterfront Place 7th Floor, PO Box 1650, Morgantown, WV 26507-1650
Federal Tax ID Number: 55-6017181